Zev was first introduced to bankruptcy law when he externed for the Honorable Thomas B. Donovan of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California after his first year of law school.
Zev represents Chapter 11 debtors, Chapters 7 and 11 trustees, municipalities, creditors’ committees and individual creditors, shareholders, and acquirers of assets. He has a broad range of experience in bankruptcy, as well as other insolvency and related proceedings, such as receiverships and assignments for the benefit of creditors. He has successfully litigated numerous adversary proceedings, contested matters, and appeals in bankruptcy court, district court, the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal.
Representative matters include:
- Represented Chapter 11 creditors’ committee of trucking company Pacific 9 Transportation, Inc., in its reorganization addressing numerous litigation claims, including a class action and dozens of labor commissioner awards, for misclassification of employees.
- Represented the Chapter 11 trustee in the reorganization of the iconic restaurant business, Roscoe’s Chicken N’ Waffles (East Coast Foods, Inc.).
- Represented the trustee in the Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 liquidation of rap label Death Row Records, Inc.
- Represented the Chapter 11 trustee in liquidation of Namvar bankruptcy estate involving real estate and finance business.
- Represented the debtor-in-possession in the reorganization of one of the largest real estate companies in downtown Los Angeles, Meruelo Maddux Properties, Inc. et al.
- Represented the debtor-in-possession in the reorganization of one of the largest framing contractors in California, CBC Framing, Inc.
- Represented the chapter 7 trustee in Toni Braxton’s bankruptcy case.
As a board member of the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum and former chair of the Bankruptcy Section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, Zev follows the latest bankruptcy law trends and issues.
As a volunteer for Public Counsel and Bet Tzedek, Zev enjoys helping people who are not able to afford legal services. Zev is a board member of the Anti-Defamation League’s Pacific Southwest Region and co-chair of its Next Gen Committee. He is an active editorial board member of the California Bankruptcy Journal, and was the editor of the journal’s symposium issue on municipal bankruptcies. While a law student at the University of Southern California, he served as Managing Editor of the Southern California Review of Law & Social Justice.
Creditors' Committee Counsel
Creditor Representation in Bankruptcy Cases
Chapter 11 Business Reorganizations